Developer - Test Analyst (AS400 - COBOL)
San Antonio, TX 78216
Our client has been recognized as one of the Best Companies to Work for in Texas and has an exciting opportunity for the right individual to join an energetic and seasoned team, with an established and expanding national firm.
Headquartered in San Antonio, our client is a diversified financial services company providing a wide range of insurance, mortgage, and investment services to financial institutions, businesses, and individuals. With offices across the country, our client is committed to providing quality products, outstanding service, and customized solutions in all 50 states.
Plans, develops, and executes test plans for AS400 COBOL application development. Collaborates, communicates, and completes testing efforts in a dynamic environment, participating as a key member of the System Development Life Cycle (SDLC) team. Reviews and shapes COBOL testing efforts to match delivered changes to the QA region, reducing overall delivery time of key projects. Works with the development team utilizing technical skills in preparing test environments, modifying job scope and execution, and developing solutions to complex technical problems that may slow the SDLC.
- Accesses and interprets the changes made to source code to determine and build appropriate test scope, plans, and strategy.
- Reviews and analyzes files and data flow accessed by the modules affected by change. Evaluates upstream and downstream impacts and constraints.
- Modifies data, creates backup and restores, runs before and after scenarios, compares files, and balances output data.
- Responsible for problem solving environmental issues and collaborating effectively with technical resources in support of QA and Regression environment health.
- Runs production jobs in different test environments and manages multiple test scenarios in support of the SDLC.
- Communicates and collaborates with multiple technical and business subject matter experts to accomplish testing goals and delivery dates.
- Supports test plans using TFS, Kanban boards, and other informal defect recording and measurement tools.
- Uses SQL, source code, and file compare tools and AS400 CL commands to complete daily tasks.
- Provides metrics, progress reports, and overall status of multiple testing initiatives to the Manager of SQA AS400.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related technical field from an accredited college or four-year university OR equivalent experience required.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience required. Minimum of two (2) years of COBOL experience required. Experience working in an AS400 environment or mainframe application system preferred.
- Must have knowledge of AS400 environments and tools.
- Must have proficient Windows 10 and Microsoft Office 13 skills, including Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must have intermediate COBOL development skills.
- Must have intermediate IT technical skills, including code analysis, impact analysis and risk assessment.
- Must be capable of engaging technically with code deployments to efficiently analyze scope, impact, risk, and resulting test cases to properly test small, medium, and large technical deliveries in the AS400 domain.
- Must be able to evaluate results and determine and isolate processes and files to be included or excluded from test scenarios.
- Must be able to consolidate data requirements and test scenarios to create effective test runs that will satisfy as many test scenarios as possible in a specific test cycle.
- Must be able to apply system and business processes knowledge to differentiate between true defects and existing production issues.
- Must be able to manage multiple testing initiatives in a single environment.
- Must be able to use basic office equipment, including copy machine, personal computer, and fax.
- Must be able to type 40 WPM.
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time performing sedentary activities.
- Must be able to stand, stoop, and kneel to file for long periods of time.
- Must be able to push, pull, and lift up to 20 lbs. of files, supplies, documents, or other related items.
Substance-Free Workplace and requires pre-employment drug testing.
Client does not hire tobacco users as allowed by law.
Client offers an excellent employee benefits package that includes: 401(k) with company match, medical/dental, Life, Long Term Disability, Accidental Death and Dismemberment, and Long Term Care insurance policies. Opportunities for professional growth are also offered.