Clinton Township, MI 48038
Job Title: Technical Author
Department : Owners Manuals
Type: Full Time/Permanent
Compensation: 45-55k per year
Previous Experience: Automotive Technician/Mechanics/Technical Writing
Owner Information Technical Author – Content Development
Summary/Objective: This Technical Author position is responsible for the development and production of automotive owner information related materials for various publication types and deliveries. These aspects include researching OEM design and release documents, product development documents, plant installation drawings, parts detail drawings, technical service bulletins, CAD/CATIA data, and hands-on procedures utilizing prototype vehicles to develop efficient, concise, and technically accurate owner information for our OEM clients.
Development may be in multiple formats (including web based) and may involve interface with multiple clients both internal and external. Regardless of deliverable or style, this position must ensure timely and accurate completion of tasks which maintain compliance to both corporate and customer standards.
Essential Functions: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Experience working collaboratively with client teams in fast paced environment.
- Ability to dialog freely with internal teams regarding projects to ensure solutions are well planned.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail and thorough approach to follow-through on all tasks.
- Ability to work under pressure and prioritize tasks to ensure efficiencies.
- Ability to multitask and interface with many personalities.
- Solid understanding of authoring tools (XML/SGML), Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook. DITA knowledge and InDesign a plus.
- Enthusiastic and well organized.
- Capable of adhering to schedules and raising issues as necessary.
- Ability to engender trust.
- Manage team resources to ensure successful delivery of projects.
- Ability to work with domestic and international business cultures.
Other Job Functions:
- Meeting client and company Quality Standards
- Client Satisfaction
- On-time delivery
- Effective use of production time and personal resources
- Knowledge of client business
- Personal / Employee Development
- Successful Teamwork
- Overall positive attitude, interpersonal and leadership skills
Supervisor Responsibilities: N/A
Work Environment: This job operates in a professional office environment setting. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to work at a computer for several hours each day.
Position Type: Some flexibility in hours is allowed, but the employee must be available during the core work hours of 9:00 am to 4:00 pm and must work 40 hours each week.
Travel: Less than 10% domestic and international travel may be required.
Required Education/Experience: Associates degree or equivalent professional experience in technical writing/content development preferred.
Reports To: Digital Transformation and Authoring Manager
Additional Eligibility Qualifications:
- Experienced in development of owner information for the automotive industry
- Working knowledge of Adobe Acrobat and Photoshop or other similar software
- Experience working collaboratively with client service teams in fast paced environment
- Ability to dialog freely with internal teams about projects to ensure solutions are well planned
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Exceptional attention to detail and thorough approach to follow-through on all tasks
- Ability to work under pressure and prioritize tasks to ensure efficiencies
- Ability to multitask and interface with many personalities
- Enthusiastic and well organized. Successful at maintaining schedules and raising issues as necessary
- Ability to engender trust
- Envision, Plan and Manage time/workload to ensure successful delivery of projects
- Ability to work with domestic and international business cultures
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.