Tool Maker - Die Maintenance
Winston Salem, NC 27104
A Triad manufacturer is looking for a Tool and Die Maker to perform a variety of operations to construct, repair, troubleshoot and improve progressive dies or transfer tooling.
- Vocational training, Toolmaker Tool&Die Maker or Die Maintenance and 4+ year’s relevant experience or 5+ years relevant experience.
- Required to do manual machining on mills, grinders and lathes.
- Strong tooling maintenance and repair background a must.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Analytical troubleshooting skills essential.
- Must have knowledge and experience of progressive, transfer or draw tooling.
- Good communication skills, especially with others.
- Must be a team player.
- CAD Design knowledge, preferably SolidWorks.
- Able to work independently and with limited supervision.
- State approved Journeymen Tool and Die Maker is a plus.
- Modify or repair existing tooling and progressive dies.
- Examine standard or previously used dies and tooling components and recommend design modifications regarding construction and functionality.
- May have to interface with Tool Engineering and Management on die and process improvements.
- Applying Root Cause Analysis to tooling breakages and premature failure.
- Analyzes the Problems and implement permanent corrective actions.
- Provide direction and leadership to progressive die design, die manufacturing, die repair and fixture manufacturing.
- May coordinate team’s continuous improvement activities.
- May lead Tooling Projects and/or work as Stamping Set up Personal.
- Requisition necessary material, components and services for progressive die manufacturing.
- Studies specifications such as blueprints, sketches, models or descriptions, and visualizes product to determine materials required and machines needed to fabricate tooling.
- Recommend revisions in design and/or substitutions in material based on “machine-ability” or fabrication problems encountered.
- Verifies conformance of machined and stamped parts to specifications through the use of calipers, micrometers, gauge blocks, height gauges, etc.
- Operates from detailed blueprints yet able to conceptualize and fabricate specialty tooling and fixtures.
- Knowledge of metal characteristics and properties including heat-treating.
- Strong orientation towards quality, safety and continuous improvement.
- Ability to expand job responsibilities, suggests improvements, and collaborates with others to generate ideas and improve processes.
- May provide guidance to less experienced employees or apprentice.
- Maintains work area in a neat and orderly condition.
- Performs other related duties and assignments as required.
- The positions involves periodically bending, reaching, kneeling, climbing ladders, moving and lifting heavy objects.
- Stand, walk or sit for the full length of shift per day.
- Overtime may be required at times.